95th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment
The circa 1859 Willcoxon brick farmhouse was owned by a family that voted for Virginia's secession from the Union. The home and large farm was located on a main road near Fairfax Court House (17 miles West of Washington, D.C.) and became a camping and rest stop for Union troops throughout the war. The Union regiments that stopped there left their marks on the walls of the house in the form of signatures, pictographs and sayings. The regiments were from Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and West Virginia. Five soldiers of the 95th Pennsylvania Infantry were among the one hundred sixteen positively identified soldiers:
Walter P.C. Mills, Private, Company B (hospitalized 6/30/62-10/7/1862); (12/28/64 to Company C)
Joseph M. Greeley, Private, Company D, and John R. Hause, Musician, Company D (both were discharged in 1862)
John S. Wright, Private, Company E (died 12/24/1862--typhoid fever)
Samuel W. Goodwin, Sergeant, Company H (12/27/1863 to Co I; 11/2/1864 to Co C)
The signatures of 95th Pennsylvania soldiers are a type of memorial, as are those of the soldiers of other regiments. However, four generations of the family painted and papered the walls on the first and second floors, so the signatures are not always legible. The attic walls are pristine and some ninety soldiers have been positively identified from those walls. Unfortunately, due to structural limitations, visitors cannot view that area. Nevertheless, digital images have been made of the walls and the attic space is recreated in the Interpretive Center of Historic Blenheim and the Civil War Interpretive Center owned by the City of Fairfax, Virginia.
Private John Hamilton Foreman, Company E, and his three brothers, 2nd Lieutenant William Foreman, Jr, Company E; Private Charles Foreman, Company G; and Private Samuel L. Foreman, Company E, were from Norristown, Pennsylvania. John suffered a flesh wound, was discharged, and later served with a hundred days regiment, the 197th Pennsylvania.
Private Thomas Hollick, Company A, was mustered out of service after Lee surrendered in April of 1865, having enlisted in September 1861. He was from Philadelphia and a gardener by trade. His name appears on the monument to Pennsylvania troops at the Gettysburg National Military Park.
Private George C. Bear mustered into the 96th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment on 8 March 1864 and transferred to Company G, 95th Pennsylvania on 18 October 1864 due to expiration of term of service of the 96th Pennsylvania. He was wounded in the left hand at Petersburg, possibly in the final assualt, because pension record indicate that he spent "3 months" in the hospital before being discharged on July 17, 1865. Family lore is that Private Bear had a bone shot out of a finger at Petersburg.
Private Aaron Biddle Watts, Company B, enlisted in Philadelphia on September 4, 1861 and was discharged on a surgeons certificate on Feruary 28,1863 at Camp Convalesence, Virginia. A few months later, feeling better, and the Civil War still in progress, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps and served for another 30 years, attaining the rank of Sergeant. He retired in Washington D.C. and died there in 1930.
Private George Matthew, Company A, was wounded in the left arm and shoulder several times during the Petersburg Campaign.
The Remembrance Wall
At The National Museum Of The Civil War Soldier
Another Great Way To Honor The Memory Of Your American Soldier
click on this link
Return To 95th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment Home Page
Copyright 2006-2012. PetersburgBreakthrough.Org. Updated 9 December 2012