52nd Regiment North Carolina Troops

Descendants Association

(At Petersburg - Hill's Third Corps, Heth's Division, MacRae's Brigade)


Soldier's Notes


Private James O. Corzine, died 28 May 1862 at 28 yrs, 11 months, 8 days in the service of the Confederacy. Enlisted in the Cabarrus Riflemen on 21 March 1862. He died in the service of Confederacy at Camp Mangum, Raleigh, North Carolina. He is first cousin of Capt. David Morrison Corzine, killed at Gravel Hill, VA and Pvt. James C. Corzine, both of Co C, 33rd NC. James O. Corzine is buried near his cousin Pvt. James C. Corzine in the Corzine section of the Cold Water Baptist Church Cemetery in Concord, North Carolina. He was a cousin of Mary Anna Morrison Jackson (Mrs. Stonewall Jackson).

Private Joel Dimmette, Company F, was captured during the Breakthrough Battle at Petersburg on April 2, 1865. He was imprisoned in Maryland until the end of the war.

Private James Wesley Duncan, Company F, born 1845 in Yancy, North Carolina. Enlisted on April 28,1862 at the age of 17 in the Wilkes Grays at Wilkesboro. He was Prisoner of War at Point Lookout, Maryland on April 13, 1865.

Private Thomas E. Carmichael, Company K, participated in Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg. The 52nd North Carolina struck the Union line somewhere just left of (north of) the infamous "angle" at the stone wall. The casualties were horrific. If anyone doubts their heroic sacrifice, a look at the Order of Battle proves that no other regiment lost more in terms of men and officers than the 52nd North Carolina. Private Carmichael was wounded, captured, and sent to DeCamp General Hospital at Davids Island, New York Harbor in the weeks after the battle. He recovered from his wounds and was eventually paroled and exchanged sometime between January and February 1864. The company muster roll shows him present and available for duty in February of that year.

Private John Toliver Handy, Company F, from Wilkes County, North Carolina enlisted in 1862, was taken prisoner at Gettysburg, and eventually sent to Point Lookout, Maryland.

Private Lauchlin McKay, Company E, was killed in action on 3 July 1863 during the Pettigrew - Trimble Charge at Gettysburg.

Private John G. Armstrong, Company G (The Dry Pond Dixies) also served as a blacksmith.

Private John Thorton Martin, Company K, was wounded in the left thigh at Gettysburg and held prisoner of war. He carried a limp till his death. At John's direction, his marker located at Bethlehem Methodist Church listed all of his Civil War information as far as regiment and company. According to family lore, he was mostly a quiet man, but was proud of his service for the cause in the war.

Archibald and George Nixon served as privates in Company G, the Dry Pond Dixies. George was wounded at Gettysburg and died a few days later. The other Nixon's serving in the company were second cousins of Archibald and George. Their names were Albert, Franklin, James, John and Sidney.

Private Solomon Cephus Chappel, Company F, was wounded and captured on July 3rd, 1863 at Gettysburg according to his pension. He was sent to prison in New York Harbor, paroled, rejoined his regiment, and surrendered at Appomattox.

Private James Austin Poplin, Company I, was wounded at Gettysburg, captured, and sent to a prison of war camp. Later paroled, returned to his regiment and surrendered with General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox.

Private Sidney G. Nixon, Company G, died 8th February 1865 at Point Lookout, Maryland.

1st Sergeant William D. Thompson, Company G, was killed in action on July 3, 1863, the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg.

Corporal Eli Martin Smith, Company I (“Stanly County Rebels”), enlisted on March 25, 1862 and was wounded on July 3rd at Gettysburg and taken as a POW. He was subsequently exchanged or paroled and then captured as a POW again at the Battle of Petersburg late in the war.

Private John Galloway, Company E, was captured at the Wilderness and died of Smallpox at Elmira Prision Camp.

Private Tobias Furr, Company A, a 47 year old farmer from Cabarrus County, North Carolina enlisted on 21 March 1862 and is noted for Distinguished Service during the war. He joined Company A on 28 April 1862, was wounded on 17 December 1862 at Goldsboro, North Carolina and returned to the regiment about 15 February 1863. He was hospitalized on 15 July 1863 at Farmville, Virginia, returned to service on 21 September 1863. Private Furr was wounded during August of 1864 near Petersburg, Virginia and died of wounds on 01 November 1864 in hospital at Petersburg, Virginia.




The Remembrance Wall

At The National Museum Of The Civil War Soldier

Another Great Way To Honor The Memory Of Your American Soldier

click on this link




Return to 52nd North Carolina Home Page


Copyright 2008-2016. PetersburgBreakthrough.Org. Updated 17 March 2016