2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery Regiment

Descendants Association


Soldier's Notes


Private Alfred Cable, Company H, was wounded at the Battle of Cedar Creek and subsequently discharged in the spring of 1865.

Private Edward Smith, Company B, joined the 2nd Conn. Heavy Artillery with his brother Private Lyman Smith, Company A, and their cousin, Corporal Lewis Bissell, Company A. All were from Litchfield, Connecticut. They were at Cold Harbor when Pvt. Lyman Smith was killed. He was next to a Sergeant Parks when they were killed together. Private Lewis Bissell saw them die and wrote Lyman's mother and father. Lyman was buried at Cold Harbor. Edward Smith on his way back home from the war, stopped in Cecil County, Maryland and met his future wife at a local grist mill who was 16 years old at the time. In the course of their marriage, they had 14 children and bought a 600 acre farm which they named "Stony Chase". Edward and his wife are buried in Cecil County. Here's an excerpt from the letter written by Private Lewis Bissell, Company A, describing part of the battle at Cold Harbor - "The Civil War Letters of Lewis Bissell: A History and Literature Curriculum" (p.267).

"written on Cold Harbor Battlefield

June 2, 1864

Dear Father,

I suppose you have been looking for a letter from me. Since we landed at Belle Plain there has been no opportunity for sending mail out from the army. If we have marched ten miles, we have marched twelve times that distance.

We had one skirmish - - none of us were hit. But the worst finally came and that was yesterday. We marched seven or eight miles and got here about 2 P.M. The enemy had thrown up rifle pits in our front. The artillery opened on them with shells but that did not make them leave so the order came to charge on them.

Our regiment was drawn up in three lines of battle - - one behind the other. Our company was in the front line. We went on the double quick - - Col. Kellogg in front.

But here it seems as if I must stop.

The men began to fall and oh! The storm of leaden rain that was poured into us cannot be described.

The roar of musketry was terrible but not so awful as the cries of the wounded in the regiment.

Co. A. has lost more than any other company Sixteen were killed and about eighty, perhaps more, wounded.

Capt. Wadhams was shot through his belt - - is in the hospital. His recovery is doubtful. Myron has lost three fingers on his left hand. Poor Lyman Smith lies dead on the enemies works I suppose. I have not seen him.

I must say goodbye.

1 P.M. - - Break the sad news to Lyman's mother and father. I have not seen his body but some of the boys have and attached his name. Robert Watt lies near him. Tell his mother that I have his Bible. I shall send it home if possible. If not, will keep it until I can. Almon Bradley, Patrick Ryan, Corporal Jones, Sergeant Parks and Willard Parmelee lie near each other - - dead."

Corporal Seth Haskins, Company F, was severely wounded at Sayler’s Creek in April, 1865.

1st Lieutenant Edward Beecher Smith, Company F, his brother Private Lyman Smith and their cousin Corporal Lewis Bissell all served in the regiment.

Corporal Edward C. (Ned) Hopson, Company D, was killed in action during the Battle of Cedar Creek on October 19, 1864. He died at the age of 22 years.




The Remembrance Wall

At The National Museum Of The Civil War Soldier

Another Great Way To Honor The Memory Of Your American Soldier

click on this link



Return To 2nd Connecticut Heavy Artillery Regiment Home Page


Copyright 2006-2014. PetersburgBreakthrough.Org. Updated 19 October 2014