14th South Carolina

Infantry Regiment

Descendants Association


Soldier's Notes


Private Lodrick Pope Collum and his brothers, Private Jessie Moore Collum, and Private Andrew Collum served in the 14th South Carolina Infantry, Company D, Edgefield Rifles. Lodrick Pope Collum was wounded at Petersburg as was his brother Jessie Moore Collum. Private Lodrick Pope Collum, Born: 08 May 1843; Died: 17 Apr. 1931 and is buried at Sally, South Carolina. Private Jessie Moore Collum, Born: 06 Jun. 1846; Died: 21 Oct. 1921 and is buried at Batesburg, South Carolina. Private Andrew Collum, Born: 13 Feb. 1841; Died: 28 Oct. 1911 (?), Burial site unknown.

Pvt. Lodrick Pope Collum with a Southern Cross of Honor on his right lapel.

Private Guilford Etheredge, Company B, born 1836 in Edgefield County, South Carolina, the son of William Etheredge and Letha Lucy Jennings. Married Amanda Elizabeth Addy in 1855. According to compiled service records he enlisted in Company B, 14th South Carolina Infantry on 12 August 1861 at Camp Butler near Aiken, South Carolina. He most likely participated with his regiment in coastal defense operations near Pocotaligo, South Carolina from January - April, 1862. The regiment was moved to Virginia in April, 1862 and was assigned to the Gregg/McGowan Brigade, Light Division, Army of Northern Virginia. He likely fought with his unit in the Seven Days Battles outside of Richmond from June 25 - July 1, 1862. According to his service records, he took ill with fever in July, 1862 and was hospitalized at Chimborazo Hospital #5 in Richmond from July - Oct, 1862. He was given a 40-day sick furlough from October 4th until mid-November, 1862, and probably returned home. Due to his illness, hospitalization, and furlough, he likely missed the battles of the Northern Virginia Campaign and Maryland Campaigns of 1862 including Second Bull Run, Chantilly, South Mountain, Sharpsburg, and Shepherdstown. Although no Regimental Return record exists, he likely returned from furlough in November, and probably fought in the Battle of Fredricksburg in December, 1862. Muster rolls indicate he was present from January - July, 1863, which implies he fought at Second Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville. He marched into Maryland and Pennsylvania with his regiment in June of 1863 and fought at Gettysburg. According to "Broken Fortunes: South Carolina soldiers, sailors, & citizens who died in the service of their country & state in the War for Southern Independence 1861-1865" by Randolph W. Kirkland, Jr., Page 106, he was mortally wounded at Gettysburg, likely on July 1st during his brigade's famous assault on Union fortifications at the Lutheran Seminary on Seminary Ridge, and captured. He was transported to David's Island, NY, location of hospital facilities for wounded Union and Confederate soldiers. His wounding was likely either from canister fired from the cannons of the Union 1st Corps Artillery Brigade, which raked his regiment's ranks, or from the rifles of the Iron Brigade (Union 1st Corps, 1st Division, 1st Brigade), which his regiment faced during the charge. He died of his wounds (DOW) at Davis Island 3 July 1863, and was later carried home for burial. The August 5, 1863 issue of Edgefield South Carolina Advertiser newspaper lists his death in the casualty report. According to "Recollections and Reminiscences 1861 - 1865", Volume 3, South Carolina Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Page 578-579, he is one of 21 Confederate Soldiers buried in marked but unidentified graves at St. Marks Lutheran Church Cemetery in Saluda County, South Carolina.

Private Andrew Bluford Westmoreland, Company E (Enoree Mosquitoes), was wounded in the head during the Wilderness Campaign in May of 1864. Private Westmoreland was from Spartanburg District, South Carolina. He was born in 1837 and died in 1876. He never fully recovered from his battle wounds.

William Dunlap Simpson, son of John Wistar (Wells) Simpson and his first wife Elizabeth Satterwhite, was born October 27, 1823, on his father's plantation, "Belfast," in Laurens District. After graduation from South Carolina College in 1843, and a year at Harvard Law School, he continued the study of law under Henry C. Young, with whom he formed a partnership after admittance to the bar in 1846. Simpson married the next year, Jane Elizabeth, his partner's daughter. In 1854 and again in 1858, he was elected to the House of Representatives. During the latter session he delivered a speech advocating dissolution of the federal Union and formation of a Southern Confederacy. Elected to the state Senate in 1860, he was a member of that body at the outbreak of the war. From 1861 until 1863, Simpson was actively engaged in military service, first of South Carolina and then of the Confederate States of America. At the outbreak of hostilities, he was appointed to the staff [at rank of Colonel] of Major General Milledge L. Bonham, who commanded state troops in and around Charleston [probably 1st regiment Charleston Guard, 1st State Troops]. He participated in the siege of Fort Sumter and accompanied Bonham to Virginia in late April. Considerable embarrassment for Simpson was occasioned by the questioning of the official status of Bonham's staff during the summer of 1861. Bonham had been appointed a brigadier general in the Confederate army, and had retained the staff which he had had as a major general of South Carolina Volunteers. The Confederate Quartermaster General ruled that he was not entitled to such a staff and the members were not entitled to pay from the Confederate Treasury. Although shorn of his position, Simpson determined to continue in mili tary service and returned to Laurens (County) where he assisted Samuel McGowan in organizing the 14th South Carolina Infantry Regiment, which ultimately became a part of Gregg's Brigade. On September 9, 1861, he was elected major "after a hard fight of it, until the very last" by his backers. The following April he became lieutenant-colonel of the unit. Simpson actively fought in important battles of 1861-1863, including First Manassas, Seven Day's Fight, Gaines' Mill, Malvern Hill, Harpers Ferry and Antietam [also Fredericksburg]. In several of these, he served as commanding officer of the regiment. His military career closed with his election late in 1862 to the Confederate House of Representatives, in which he served until the end of that government. Following the war he resumed legal practice and continued his interest in politics. In 1868 he was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention; and was elected to the national House of Representatives but was disqualified under the 14th Amendment [because he had taken up arms against the United States government]. He was elected lieutenant-governor in 1876 when Wade Hampton and the Red Shirts secured home rule for South Carolina. Reelected, Simpson automatically became governor when Hampton was elected to the United States Senate. His closing years were spent as chief justice of the State Supreme Court, to which he was elected by the legislature in 1879 and 1886. He died in Columbia, December 26, 1890. "His career was like that of many other Southerners of his class and age. Well born and handsome, pious and patriotic, competent but not brilliant, he accepted the opinions of his class and justified the series of honors conferred upon him because of conscientious service." Source: Letters of William Dunlap Simpson 1860-1863 - Author(s): William Dunlap Simpson and Willard E. Wight. Source: The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 57, No. 4 (Oct., 1956), pp. 204-222 - Published by: South Carolina Historical Society.

Willliam D. Simpson

Corporal Lott Jennings, Company B, was born 30 Aug 1828 in Edgefield County, the son of William Jennings and Eleanor Etheredge. Married Mary Matthews 28 Jan 1855. Enlisted in 14th Regiment S.C.V. on 12 Aug 1861. Discharged at Mt. Willings, Saluda County, on 22 Sep 1861 due to disability. Re-enlisted in 14th Regiment on 20 Jul 1862 at Edgefield. Served as a musician in regimental band (instrument unknown). The Confederate Army, using basically the same guidelines as the U. S. Army, authorized each regiment to enlist up to 16 men to serve as musicians. Regimental bands varied from 6-24 musicians, with an average of 12-16. Bands helped attract new recruits, entertained troops with concerts during long encampments, and played lively marches to uplift the spirits of soldiers on marches. Band members also served as medics, assisting surgeons in field hospitals, helped to evacuate wounded soldiers, and buried the dead. It is likely that Corporal Jennings helped perform all of these functions during the course of the war. He was paroled at Appomattox on 9 April 1865. He relocated his family to Terrell County, Georgia between 1865 and 1870. He died 26 May 1899 in Terrell County. He's buried at St. Marks Lutheran Church Cemetery, Botsford Georgia (Sumter County).

Lott Jennings

Private William Dennis (W.D.) McCarty, Company D, was born November 30, 1843 in Edgefield, South Carolina and enlisted for the duration of the war at age eighteen in Captain A. Perrin's Company (Edgefield Rifles). Private McCarty was wounded at Gaines Mill on June 27, 1862 and was wounded and captured on July 4, 1863 at Gettysburg. He was admitted on July 28, 1863 to U.S. Army General Hospital, Ward C, at Baltimore, Maryland; transferred to Baltimore Jail on July 30, 1863; sent to Point Lookout, Maryland on August 20, 1863; and exchanged in late February of 1865. He died October 21, 1889 at Nettleton, Itwamba County, Mississippi and is buried at New Chapel Cemetery, Evergreen, Itawamba County, Mississippi. The stone was broken and poorly repaired a long time ago.

W.D. McCarty

Sergeant John G. DeShields, Company F, enlisted as a private on 17 Sept 1861 at age 21 at Camp Butler and was paroled at Appomattox Court House, Virginia on 9 April 1865.

Private Joseph S. McNure, Company B, enlisted March 19, 1864 at Orange Court House, Virginia and was last recorded present on the November and December 1864 muster rolls.

1st Lieutenant John M. Miller, Company C, mustered with the regiment in July of 1861. His younger brother, James Franklin Miller went to Orange County, Virginia in early 1864 and enlisted in Company C in order to serve with his brother.

Sergeant John G. DeShields, Company F, enlisted on 17 Sept 1861 (age 21) as a private at Camp Butler and was paroled at Appomattox Court House, Virginia on 9 April 1865.

John B. Jones died at his home, near Fountain Inn, S. C. on the 10th of April, 1919, in his seventy-seventh year. He was a member of Company E, 14th Regiment of South Carolina Volunteers, McGowan's Brigade, and fought from Gaines' Mill to Appomattox. He rarely, if ever, missed a battle. Being endowed with a rich fund of wit and humor, he was always ready for fun and frolic and did as much to sustain the sprits of his company by his sallies of wit as he did by his unflinching courage in battle. Nobody ever saw "John Griff" (as he was called to distinguish him from others of the same name) in low spirits. He saw only the brighter side of life, and everyone who came into close contact with him caught something of his spirit. Pessimism and despondency had no place in his creed and lost their power on others in his presence.

John used to tell the boys that if he could once speak to Stonewall Jackson he would be ready to die. It happened on one occasion, after a long and toilsome mission. His regiment was resting on the roadside, while troops ahead of us were going into camp. General Jackson was sitting on his horse not far away. John saw his opportunity and had the audacity to walk up to him, salute him in fine military style, and say: “General, wil1 you please tell us where we are going to camp to-night?"

The General, who happened to be in a good humor, replied, "Right over there in the woods," pointing to a body of woods in plain view. "Thank you sir," said John, who saluted and returned to his company, saying: "Now, boys, I'm ready to go. I've spoken to ‘Old Jack,' and he has spoken to me."

John came out of the war ruined in fortune and disabled with wounds. He had one wound in the leg that never healed, but slowly grew worse as long as he lived. For a few years he walked with a stick, then he had to adopt a crutch, and finally two crutches. Yet nothing could conquer his spirit. He married a charming woman, built him a comfortable house, worked with his own horses, cultivated a farm, and made a comfortable living for himself and family.

He was a fine singer and had a set of patriotic songs that he would sing at our State and county reunions to the great delight of his old comrades. There was one song in particular, the refrain of which was "Richmond is a hard road to travel, I believe." which, when he stood up on his crutches and sang to a large body of gray-haired veterans, was sure to "bring down the house.”

I paid him a visit last summer and found him confined to his bed with a disease which he and I knew would prove fatal. Yet he was cheerful and hopeful.

Peace to his ashes and honor to his memory! (N. P. Griffith, captain Company E, 14th South Carolina Volunteers)  Reprinted from the CONFEDERATE VETERAN, 1919

Sergeant William Poole Thomason, Company C (Raiborn Company), served from 1861 through the end of the war.

Dewitt Clinton Tompkins enlisted as Captain of Company K on August 26, 1861 and mustered with the company on September 10, 1861. He was wounded at Gaines' Mill in June 1862 and at Ox Hill on September 1, 1862. Incapacitated by chronic rheumatism in the heels and ankles, he tendered his resignation on September 5, 1862 and it was accepted October 1, 1862. Tompkins replacement as Captain was First Lieutenant Orsamus W. Allen, M.D., who was promoted October 1. With both Tompkins and Allen in the service, their home area of Edgefield County was left without a physician. Concerned citizens petitioned General Jackson who determined that both doctors should be allowed to resign and do their duty at home. Tompkins returned home in October and Allen, who was ill with typhoid fever at the time, resigned in early November.

Private John Tompkins, Company K, enlisted March 27, 1862 according to a Bounty & Receipt Roll. He was enlisted at Tomotley, South Carolina by Lieutenant C.W. Allen. The bounty was $50.

Private Stephen Tompkins, Company K, enlisted June 7, 1862 at Sheppard’s Farm, Virginia and was hospitalized in Richmond from September 8th to October 24th, 1862 with intestinal fever. The regimental return for October 1862 states that he was at hospital wounded on August 29, 1862. He was discharged by furnishing a substitute, Jno. Maloy, on January 15, 1863. Maloy subsequently deserted.

Private Charles Clayton Phillips, Company E, was killed in action on November 12, 1864 and is buried at Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, Virginia.

Private Jonathan Abercrombie, Jr. (b. 1809, d. 1876), Company C, was the father-in-law of Private John Owings Hellams (b. 1822, d. 1878), Company C, as Hellams married Minerva, Abercrombie's daughter. Both men were from the Laurens District of South Carolina.

Captain Edmund Cowan was from Abbeville, South Carolina. Edmund Cowan succeeded M.C. Taggart as captain of Company G, who succeeded Captain William Jay, the original company commander when Company G was originally organized.

Private Wade Hampton Philips, Company C, was wounded and left into the hands of the enemy at Gettysburg.

Private Hutson Loftis, Company I, was from Lowndesville, South Carolina. He was at the surrender at Appomattox, passed away on January 23, 1910 and is buried in the Smyrna Methodist Cemetery.

Private John Herndon Daniel, Company I, enlisted on September 3, 1861 at the age of 21 at Camp Butler. He was present October 31, 1861. Hospitalized in McPhersonville during February 28th, 1862 roll. Present thereafter on all rolls through December of 1863. On furlough of indulgence during February 1864 roll. Hospitalized in Richmond, May 26-June 6, 1864 with wound of right thigh with minnie ball. At home on wounded furlough during April 30 – December 31, 1864 though listed as hospitalized in Columbia Oct. 1864. Parolled at Appomattox.

Sergeant William Baylis Parsons, Company E, fought in the Civil War. In some records he is referred to WB Parson with the "s" left off the end of his name. William Baylis Parsons volunteered for the Confederate army on August 16, 1861 at the age of 18. He was part of Company E, South Carolina’s 14th Regiment, Gregg-McGowans Brigade, A.P. Hill’s Division, Stonewall Jackson’s Corps. He fought in 28 battles including Harper’s Ferry, Fredericksburg, Sharpsburg, also known as the Battle of Antietam, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Chancellorsville, Deep Bottom, Second Manasses, and Spotsylvania. He was wounded 4 times. At Gettysburg on July 2, 1863 he was wounded in the thigh and had to lay in the hot sun all day. He tried once to walk but the wound bled so badly he was forced to lie down. After dark, they moved the wounded to an apple orchard and there he shared a small tent with 3 others who were badly wounded. They developed fever from their wounds but had no water. Finally it started raining and they filled their canteens with the water running off the tent and used it to clean their wounds and quench their thirst. He was later captured and carried to David’s Island N.Y. and held prisoner for 2 months. He was wounded again at Orange courthouse, at Sharpsburg when a piece of shell hit his hand. He was wounded a fourth time in 1864 at Deep Bottom, Virginia when a bullet went entirely through his shoulder. In the Battle of Wilderness, at great risk to his own life, he and his comrade, J. White Westmoreland, of Woodruff, SC saved the life of their Captain, H.P. Griffith, by carrying him in their arms off the field of battle. Captain Griffith was the father of Limestone College. He often said that all the good he accomplished in this life should go to the credit of these two men. William Baylis Parsons died in 1934 at the age of 91 as the oldest Confederate veteran in Greenville County, South Carolina.



Return to 14th South Carolina Homepage


Copyright 2009-2015. PetersburgBreakthrough.Org. Updated 29 July 2015